Sunday, February 28, 2016

Afire Love - Spring 2016

Spring 2016


She stops right in front of the door and stares at it blankly. Heavy sighs escaped her mouth and she carefully put the keys to the apartment into the lock and turns the knob to open the door. Her whole body is shaking and her knees started to wobble. She tries hard to get a good grip of herself and recollect all the strength that is still left in her. She then walks in.

Mia looks around the room and every single thing in it makes her feel like crying. His furniture, his soft blue curtains, his TV and play station, his collection of skateboards—they are still perfectly in their place, just like the way they were left few months back. The lingering air inside the apartment also, still smells like him. She feels like having a breakdown any minute from now.

A picture hung onto the wall caught her attention. Mia walks and halted right in front of it. A picture with both of them in it-- they were smiling, brightly to be precise. It was their first picture together back in the high school days. Mark looks healthy and she looks deeply in love. They were so young, too good for this cruel world. Everything was fine back then, perfectly fine.

She can’t hold her tears anymore.

Mia moves to Mark’s room and there again, she examines the whole room. She drops herself onto his bed and took a hoodie that was left sprawled on the bed into her hand. It was Mark’s most favorite hoodie—the one that she gave to him on his 20th birthday. She chuckles a bit with tears still pooling her eyes as she remembers how happy he was when he first received the gift. She snuggles the hoodie for about 30 seconds and felt a slight pang to her heart. Yes, it still smells like Mark…

God, I miss him…

It’s been a week since Mark’s gone, a week since she felt nothing but pain. Yes, he died, on the last day of winter. She still remembers every tiny detail that happened on that day. Mark’s lungs suddenly failed to function, his liver swelled—the doctors said—thus also, dysfunction. He kept on gasping for air and he coughs blood, lots of them. In his last moment of his life, Mark gently grabbed her hands and says those three magic words right before the death angel took his soul away. Despite of the worst thing that happened, he looked calm on his deathbed and keep on smiling, still assuring everyone that he’ll be okay. He always says everything’s okay when he knew it is not. He knew it better than anyone else.

“Mia?”

Mia lifts her head and Jackson’s figure came into her view. She quickly wipes away the tears and looks at Jackson as he walks into the room, straight towards her.

“I didn’t know you were coming.” Jackson casually lands himself next to her.

“Jinyoung told me that you guys are coming here, to clean up this place so he kinda ask me for a hand. But he said he’s gonna be late so… here I am, alone.” She chuckles but damn doesn’t it sound so fake?

“Yes, he did…”
Jackson’s eyes were on her. He stares at those red swelling eyes and red nose. He looks at the way Mia was staring blankly at the entire room. He saw Mark’s hoodie on her lap. He saw sadness in her eyes-- he saw how she was unable to express her feelings and how she missed him.

It is undoubtedly hard for her to forget him. Same goes to him. All three of them had known each other since middle school and they have been best friends since then. If Mia has loss her lover, Jackson has certainly loss his twin brother.

He also misses him, like really misses him. Life without Mark certainly feels wrong to him.

“So, how have you been doing these days?” Jackson asks, just to keep up the good mood and chase away all the gloominess that started to haunt them.

“Good, I guess… how about you?”

Jackson smiles a bit. “Me? Oh, hm…Kinda busy with all the projects and stuffs, you know.”

Mia nods slowly and both of them went back into silence again.

Jackson breathes out and turns himself to face Mia. He took a couple of minute, trying to gather some strength and carefully opens his mouth.

“Look… I have something for you…” Jackson pulls out an envelope from inside of his jacket and held it out to Mia. Mia stares at him in confusion yet she still took it from him.

“I’ve been keeping that in this jacket for quite some times. I didn’t have the chance to give it to you before this. But luckily you showed up today so yeah for you.”

She still stares at him, waiting him to continue with his words. She has a feeling that she knew who gave this but still, she wants Jackson to tell her. Deep down inside, she hopes that it was him but some part of her are denying.

“It’s from Mark…”

And she was right.


(flashback)

Jackson entered the dim lit room and swiftly took place next to his best friend. Mark suddenly opened his eyes and looked at Jackson while smiling weakly. Jackson stares back at him in disbelief. That surely surprised him.

“I thought you were sleeping.”

“I was but then I heard the door opened and footsteps in this room. You do know how sensitive I am with sound, right?”

Jackson scratched the back of his head with guilt that began to rise in him. “I’m sorry.”

Mark laughs. “Don’t be. So, why are you here? I mean, aren’t you supposed at home right now?”

“Oh, I guess, you could really use a good company for the night. You do know that I can’t bear seeing you being left alone, right?” Again, Mark laughs. This is why Jackson is his best friend.

“So, how are feeling right now? Do feel any pain or stress?” Jackson shot him a concerned look.

“Wow, you sounds just like Jinyoung when he came to check up on me. Guess his doctor’s side finally rubbed on you.”

“Dude, I’m serious.” He glared at his best friend and it cracked Mark up.

“Okay, I’m truly sorry. I’m fine. Never felt okay like this before.”

Jackson knew, Mark’s lying but he also knew he was being positive. And he too, has to be positive—just like Mark.

“You should quickly come back to class, you know. Mr. Hong is driving me crazy. He kept on shooting me questions which he knew I was too genius to answer it back. I can’t survive his class without you. Please come backkkkk~” Jackson pulled Mark’s right arm and whined.

“I will, Jackson. Just wait for little while, okay? In the meantime, please don’t do anything stupid during his class or else he will haunt you with all the demerit points. You certainly can’t graduate if your student’s points are way below sea level.”

“I won’t graduate without you. We promised that we will be on stage and receive those stupid scrolls that we’ve literally been working our butts off just to get it, together.”

Jackson’s sincere words touched him. He wanted to pull him into a hug but he knew he certainly can’t. He didn’t want to smear Jackson or his clothes with blood or any disgusting liquid that kept on oozing from his skin. He himself has no idea why it happened.  

“Jackson, can you do me a favor?”

“And what is that my dear friend?”

Mark smiles. He held his hand and pulled the drawer. He took out a white envelope and gave it to Jackson.

“It’s for Mia. Can you give it to her, please?”

Jackson stared down at the envelope and took it from Mark. His chest started to feel a bit tight. Why does it felt so wrong?

“Is this a will or something?” Jackson said jokingly. His throat felt sandy and it definitely made him feel super uncomfortable.

“Kinda.” Mark chuckled and continued, “give to her when I’m… gone. Okay?”

“No.” Jackson protested. Clouds of anger and frustration began to float above him. “You’re not going anywhere. You promised her.”

“Jacks… We all know the truth. I’m dying. She knows. Everyone knows, including you. Maybe not today or tomorrow… or the day after tomorrow but sooner or later, I will die. You can’t deny that. So please, do this for me… And…” Mark pulled Jackson’s hand and put a white gold ring onto his palm. Both of Jackson’s eyes widen and his heart began to shatter into pieces.

“I was going to propose her…” Tiny drop of tears fell slowly from the corner of his eyes but still he tried to smile. Jackson also, cried.

“Take this. Give it to her whenever you’re ready. There’s no one else in this world that can care for her more than you, Jacks. She deserves someone, who can always be there whenever she needs him. She deserves someone who loves her with all his heart. She deserves someone that can bring herself up whenever she feels down—and that is you, Jackson. I’m sorry dude, I’m such a jerk… I should have noticed your feelings long time ago.  I know, you love her and I know…”

“Gosh dude, what are you talking about?! Are you filming some kind of a drama here? God… Stop talking craps!” Jackson stood up and looked at Mark with mixed feelings. He was mad, frustrated, in despair, sorrow, miserable, useless—all in one. Mark just stared at him while biting his lower lips. Everything that he said was true. Jackson loved Mia. His heart ached as he ranted all those words out of his mouth but yes, he knew.

“Jackson, you can’t fool me and I am definitely not talking craps.”

Jackson tried to control his anger and sat back down. He let out a heavy sighs and stared down at the ring that was still in his grip. He looked back at Mark who was smiling at him with tears still pooling his eyes. He saw Mark’s pale face. He looked tired and that certainly made him feel totally helpless. He just stared at him without uttering a single word. He was lost for words.

“This is my last request, Jacks. Please, do this… for me…”


“He told me to give this to you and also…” Jackson carefully pulls Mia’s hand towards him and places the ring that Mark gave to him. Jackson smiles softly and watches how her expression turns from grey to a puzzled one.

Sorry, Mark… I can’t keep my promise, not this one. Maybe someday, I will but not this time around. Things are still in mess and don’t wanna make it worst.

Mia just stares at Jackson blankly. She doesn’t know what to say and how to react. The letter was already enough to suffocate her and now this… the ring…

“He loves you… Forever and always, Mia…” Jackson holds her hand and again gives her the sweetest smile that he could offers. Without thinking twice, Mia quickly hugs Jackson and cries her heart out on Jackson’s broad shoulder. Jackson hushes her and gently pats her back.

It is true-- he loved her, ever since their middle school days. She is his first love but it’s quite useless, trying to catch someone’s attention that was already deeply in love with someone else. If he loved her long time ago, same goes with her—she also had loved Mark ever since and coincidently Mark have the same feeling too. Jackson knew he couldn’t stand a chance so he just shrugged it off, trying to forget all the feelings he felt. Besides, Mark is his best friend and he certainly won’t betray him. But unfortunately, his feelings towards Mia were still, inside his heart—until now.

“Thank you, Jackson… Thank you…” She speaks in between of her sobs. She pulls Jackson closer and their hugs tighten. She could really use a shoulder to lean on right now and Jackson’s seems to be a perfect one for her. Jackson smiles weakly and keeps on patting her back.

You’re welcome, Mia. I’m here whenever you need me, always…

-----

4th January 2016, 0336 am

Dear Mia,

This is my first time writing you a letter and yeah it feels awkward hahaha. There are lots of things I wanna say to you but you know, I’m not that good with words hm… so okay, here it goes.

Remember when we first met?

It was the first day of our first year in middle school. You were organizing your things in your locker when suddenly all of your books unexpectedly slide down and drop dead on the floor. Coincidently I was there, walking through the hallway with Jackson. I still remember your frustrated face and how you stared at the book annoyingly. First time meeting you, I already saw your ugly face hahaha (ugly in a beautiful way). Something urged me back then and I suddenly became your knight in shining armor, helping you picking up the books an arranging them back. You said thank you while smiling shyly and that was when I was totally star struck. Damn, I can’t forget your smile.

As if it was already fated, we were in the same class along with Jackson. The three of us instantly became best friends and that marked one of the most precious moments in my life.

So yeah, when I get to know you more, little by little I started falling in love with you. I love the way you talk and how your eyes shine when you describe your favorite songs. I love the way you enjoy your favorite food because you said yourself—food is happiness.  I love how you become so mature when it comes to discuss some serious matters and how you’re like a happy child whenever we goofed around and do silly stuffs. Oh, sometimes, you’re quite sarcastic (maybe it is the effect of too much hanging around with Jinyoung and Jaebum) but it’s okay, I still love you no matter how annoyingly sarcastic you are. Most importantly, I love how your whole existence had brought so much light and colors into my life.

You completed me.

I’m deeply sorry for being such a trouble for you. Sorry for not being a good boyfriend. Sorry, I’m unable to protect you. I know how hard it is for you to face all this, to worry about me all the time. I’m sorry for not telling you about this earlier but really I don’t wanna hurt you. I know, I’ve wronged you in so many ways. Please forgive me. Forgive me for being such an idiot unreliable pathetic boyfriend. But deep inside my heart, I just want you to be happy, that’s all…

We promised that we would always be there for each other but… I’m sorry… I can’t keep my own words… I’m deadly sorry….

But please remember this one thing, even if we are no longer together, even if death set us apart, my love for you is immortal. I swore I’ll love you not only until I die, but I will love you forever—forever and always.

Lastly, thank you for bringing out the best in me. Thank you for every single thing that you’ve done to me in my entire life. You saw something in me that anyone else doesn’t and I am thankful for that. Thank you, for being the best part of my life. Thank you, Mia. Thank you…

With all my heart,
Mark.

Mia folds the letter and put it back into its envelope. She lies flat on her bed and stares blankly at the white ceiling right above her. Tears are still falling, her hands are still trembling but somehow she felt relieved. She was able to read and keep his last few words and that was more than she could ever want.  

Yes, Mark’s no longer here but he will forever live in her heart.

She will forever be in love with the most quiet guy in school. She will forever be head over heels for the boy who is so into skateboarding and collecting hoodies. She will forever remember his charming eyes and addicting smile. She will forever remember him—her knight in shining armor, her pizza delivery guy, her late night driver, her mp3 player, her Disney prince, her dad’s favorite sport buddy, her mom’s grocery shopping companion. She will forever remember him—her Mark Tuan.

She will love him, forever and always.




FIN

No comments:

Post a Comment