Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Afire Love - Summer 2015

Summer 2015


“Hyung, how about we bring Mark hyung to the beach? He could use some fresh air.” Yugyeom beam a big grin on his face while waiting for Jinyoung’s response.

Bambam nods his head, agreeing with Yugyeom’s brilliant suggestion. “Don’t forget the sand. He could really use some of that too.”

Jinyoung looks at Yugyeom and Bambam, back and forth. He shakes his head slowly. “I don’t think that’s a great idea. You guys know that Mark’s condition isn’t that good and staying under the sun could make him feel more exhausted and can cause him to collapse and all, right?”

“But hyung, this is summer. Summer is all about the sun, beach and ice creams. Letting him to lock himself at the apartment is also not a good idea.”  Yugyeom starts to pout. Youngjae who was in the kitchen just now moves to the living room and joins the conversation.

“Yes, hyung. Yug’s right. I don’t see any harm bringing Mark hyung to the beach. It’s not like we’re staying there forever. Besides, we should spread him some positive vibes and encourage him to do things like normal people do. I’m not saying that he’s not normal. You know what I mean right?”

Jinyoung slowly nods his head and turns his whole body to face Jaebum who was sitting at the coffee table. Jaebum smiles and gave Jinyoung the ‘the-boys-were-right’ look. Again, Jinyoung nods and turns to the three maknaes who were staring at him with anticipation. He let out a small sighs and smile.

“Then to the beach it is.”

-----

“Now, tell me again why you can’t come along.” Mark sits on his bed and cross both of his arm while staring at his girlfriend who was busy packing his stuff inside a bag pack. Mia giggles as she saw Mark pouting his lips. She walks and sits right beside him.

“I have something to do at the café. Aunt Jess asked me to help her today. You do know that I can’t say no to her right?”

“I know but that literally means you’re saying no to me.”

Again, she laughs as she heard Mark’s response. Mia pinches Mark’s cheeks and he let out a small ‘aww’. Mark rubs his sore flesh and continues to pout.

“Okay, okay. I’m sorry. I’ll go with you next time, I promise.”

Only if I ever be able to meet summer again.” The words that come from Mark’s mouth are almost inaudible but Mia can still hear it. It definitely gives a pang in her heart. She quickly slips her hand into Mark’s and hold it tightly while looking at him with eyes full of love and hope. He tries to avoid her gaze and swallow his saliva hard.

“You will, Mark. Don’t lose hope, okay?” With that, she gently pats his head and swiftly rises from her seat and went back to pack Mark’s stuff. Her tears were on the edge of falling and she doesn’t want Mark to see it. She can’t be weak in front of him. She shouldn’t.

She felt sudden warmth on her back and realizes that it was Mark, giving her a back hug. She pulls a tiny smile on her face as she hears Mark murmurs the word sorry. Mia taps Mark’s arm in response. The hug broke and they start to face each other. Mark slowly brush off Mia’s hair from her forehead and slips it to the back of her ears. He leaves a small peck on her forehead. His fingers softly shed tiny tears at the corner of her gorgeous eyes and spark an apologetic smile.

“Don’t cry, please.”

Mia shakes her head and gave Mark a warm smile.

They suddenly here a knock on the door and it open widely from the outside. Yugyeom’s and Bambam’s faces come into view. They grin playfully to both Mark and Mia. 

“Looks like your chauffeurs have come to pick you up.” Mia laughs. Mark laughs too. He hugs her for one last time and grabs the back pack on top of his drawer and moves towards YugBam. She walks them to the front door wave them goodbye.

“Text me when you reach the beach, okay? Have fun!”

‘’Okay. Take care. Love you!”

Love you too, Mark Tuan…

-----

It felt like ages since he last stepped out from his soulless apartment and being under the scorching summer sun brings him to life again. The refreshing summer breeze sweeps across his face, giving him sudden warmth that he has been longing for. The sound of waves crushing the shore, people chattering non-stop and seagulls flying above him are music to his hears. He can’t help but smiling.

All seven of them left their belongings at one spot and quickly ran towards the sea.

Mark looks at his friends who were having so much fun pushing and splashing water at each other’s faces. Jackson and Bambam both lift Yugyeom up and spontaneously drop him dead onto the sea floor. Yugyeom quickly stand up and pushes them heartlessly as revenge. The three of them laugh their heart out. Jaebum and Jinyoung on the other hand kept on digging some sands and put it into Youngjae’s shirt, just to annoy him. Youngjae swiftly make his way out of the sea and ran for his life while shouting to the top of his lungs when Jaebum chases after him. Five of them cracked up to see such a hilarious scenario. Mark slowly shakes his head with a little smile still hanging onto his lips.

They are still a bunch of dorky kids.

Jinyoung comes towards Mark and hang his arm onto Mark’s shoulders. “It’s been a while since I saw that smile of yours.”

Mark looks at Jinyoung and grins widely. “Well, thanks to you guys.”

“You know what, Mark?”

“What?”

“You could really use some water.” With that, Jinyoung pushes Mark right into the sea and call the others to gang up with him and splash Mark with water till he is all wet.

All of them kept on laughing and playing happily, without worrying about anything because all of them had sworn-- they’ll cherish this trip. They want to remember today. They want to remember this summer. They want to remember every single thing they did together.

They want to remember them, especially Mark.

-----

All seven of them sit on the white sandy beach, circling the campfire they have made just now. They were going to head back to the town actually this evening when suddenly all of them come up with the idea of staying the night camping by the seaside. Of course, it was a last minute plan and they certainly didn’t bring along any camping equipment such as tents and stuff but with all seven of them being together in one place, it is just more than enough.

“Soooo, what should we do now?” Jackson’s voice broke the silence.

Yugyeom enthusiastically stand up and grins widely. “How about we play Yaja Time? I’ve been waiting for years to play that game!”

“No we don’t want to play that. Sit down, Kim Yugyeom!” Jaebum pulls Yugyeom’s short and make him sit back to his place.

“Boooo, rejected. Okay, next suggestion please.” The usual hyena laugh of Jackson fills up the whole atmosphere and it made the others laugh as well.

Youngjae raises his right hand and smiles. “How about… the game of truth or dare? I saw in the dramas, they always play that game when they were having campfire and stuffs.”

“You and your kdramas, Youngjae.” Jinyoung shakes his head slowly chuckles.

“Alright, call!” All of them agree in unison.

“So, he wants to start first?”

“Me! Me! Pick me!” Jackson replies excitedly to Bambam’s question.

“Okay, Jackson hyung. Truth or dare?”

All eyes are on Jackson now. Jackson smirks as he confidently shouted dare.

“Okay, Jacks. Listen. Run towards the seashore, spin for like ten times and shout the name of the person that you like or you’re having a crush on or whatever but not one of our names. If you can’t to do, then you’ll be rewarded with a nasty flick on your precious forehead. Got it?” Wide grin forms on Jaebum’s handsome face. Jackson pauses for a while and scans everyone faces before he starts to smirk.

“Piece of cake!” With that, he quickly run across the beach and spins around. Jackson tries to steady himself and yells ‘my mom’ loudly. He comes back to them and all of them laugh.

“You, come here.” Jaebum locks Jackson’s head and gave him a nice flick. Jackson shrieks in pain and it made all of them to crack up again.

“Yah, what’s with the flick? I did the mission!”

“You’re not doing it properly, Jacks. That is why you deserve a punishment. Your mission is to shout your crush’s name not ‘my mom’.” Jaebum replies sarcastically.

“I don’t have one so why should I?” Jackson smiles bitterly and settles down back to his place, right next to Bambam. Everyone started to become quiet and seems to agree with Jackson’s answer and they continue with the game. Various missions of dare have been done and several confessions of truth have been heard. All of them were really having fun with this game as they could see another side of them that they have never seen before.

Time flies by and it was already the last person’s turn which is Mark’s.

“I pick truth.” Mark smiles.

“I want to ask!” Youngjae raises his hand again. Mark nods his head.

“How does it feel when… you first knew about your health condition and also the cancer thingy? I’m kinda… curious…” Youngjae bit his lower lips.

“Choi Youngjae!” Jinyoung stood up but Mark quickly pulls him back and taps his thigh. He smiles gently at Jinyoung and nods his head few times. Jinyoung let out a small sigh.

“You don’t have to answer it hyung. I’m sorry. Let’s change…”

“No, it’s okay!” Mark cut off Youngjae’s words. He gives each one of them a look and continues to smile.

“Actually, I’ve been thinking about that a lot lately and I think, it’s better to tell you guys how I really feel. Well, you guys are my bros and I should open up to you guys. I shouldn’t shut you guys off because I know…it certainly didn’t bring any good to me or to any of us. I know, I don’t talk much but there are no harms to me for opening up and being honest, right?”

All six of them give each other a glance and look back at Mark. The silence grows louder.

“You guys do know that…” Mark stops and swallows his saliva hard. He smiles bitterly and continues with his words. “That I don’t have much time left, right?”

“Hyung…” Yugyeom and Bambam softly call Mark. Again, Mark gave both of the maknaes a look. The smile on his face was still there, still didn’t fade away.

“It’s the truth, Yugyeom… Bambam… Well, everyone will die. It’s only a matter of time but, I guess my name is first on the list among you guys… ha… haha…”

Huh so much for laughing, Mark Tuan.  

“So, back to Youngjae’s question; frankly, when I first knew about this whole thing, I felt like I want to die on that very day. What’s the use of leading this life when you know that you’re going to die soon. But somehow, I have managed to pull myself together and didn’t do anything stupid, yet. It’s a major lie if I tell you guys that I’m fine with this kind of fate. I still can’t accept all of this. I feel like giving up most of the time, really… But then again, I remembered, I have you guys. I have Mia. You guys are the sole reason why I am still fighting this disease because obviously, I only have you guys. You’re my life…”

“And sometimes, I kinda felt grateful as well for being the ‘chosen one’ to have this disease. At least, it makes me to appreciate life more. It opens my eyes to see that there are still people who care for me and I am thankful for that, really.”

Mark knows, his words are beyond cheesy but the truth is, that is how he genuinely feels. He looks up and saw the maknae line was already deep into tears. Jaebum runs his finger through his hair while sighing heavily. Jackson sniffles a bit and turns his gaze away, silently hiding his tears. Jinyoung, who was sitting beside Mark, kept on patting his back softly and grip Mark’s hand tightly.

“I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to ruin the happy mood we’re having just now. I’m sorry…” Mark bit his lips as he tries hard to hold back the tears from falling. No, he can’t cry. Not in front of his friends, at least.

Bambam suddenly stand up, walks towards Mark and spontaneously hugs him, followed by Yugyeom and Youngjae. “Please, don’t leave us hyung.”

The three Js also join the group hug. Their embrace tightens.

Mark froze in time and tiny tears suddenly rolls down his cheeks. His body is full with warmth, thanks to the hug given by his buddies. He looks up to the tiny stars that decorate the dark blue sky with its bright twinkling lights. Mark smiles.

The dark blue sky is him and those tiny stars are his friends.

They are the one who lit up his gloomy life and are always there for him. They are the stars of his life. They are his precious bros. No matter how many times he pushes them away, they are inseparable. Just like the dark night and the stars.

“I love you punks, badly…” And his tears fall again.

“Don’t leave us hyung…”

“No, I won’t.”

“Promise us.”

“I promise…”

God, please give me some more time. I beg…

No comments:

Post a Comment